As I said previously, if we think something often enough, we begin to believe it's true and our feelings match what we are thinking about ourselves.
The past two weeks I have struggled with a faulty thought pattern called "Emotional Reasoning." I look around my house and know that it needs to be cleaned but I am overwhelmed by the prospect of cleaning. My automatic negative thought is, "It's hopeless to even try to clean...." The past few days I have been able to nip this in the bud with more positive, truthful statements: "Anything I do matters... If I do one thing everyday, no matter how small, it will make a difference and I will feel better about myself." This morning I "dusted" the tub we never use. I then felt motivated to put a few things away. It felt really good. Tomorrow I will do more things and then again the next day. I feel more positive today and it all happened because I fought back when the negative thinking started to take over again!
That's good Steph. That's what it takes. Positive thinking to push out the negative thoughts. But I have to admit... I don't do housework often enough. I hate it! I put stuff off till later. I need to do better. I need to hire a maid!
ReplyDelete