Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Law of Happiness

I read this book last year called the Law of Happiness by the psychologist Dr. Henry Cloud.  It really made an impression on me because I go around thinking, "If I was ____or______ I would be happier."  His research shows that Only 10% of your happiness is due to your personal circumstances.  Another 50% comes from your internal makeup and the other 40% is DIRECTLY under your control.  The things under your direct control are your behaviors, thoughts and intentional practices in your life.  I want to explore some of the ideas he talks about in his book in the coming days.  He says that Happy People are
givers, not lazy about happiness, don't wait for "someday," pursue goals, fully engage, connect, don't compare themselves, think well, are grateful, have boundaries, forgive, have a calling, and have faith.  Which of these can you relate to?  I find I am happier when I am a giver.  I don't  give money but I try to give time and love. It isn't easy for me.  I prefer to be a hermit and am by nature insecure and shy.  Just writing this blog is a daily challenge for me but I feel happier in the end when I can say, "I hope I helped someone today."

3 comments:

  1. That book sounds good. It's good advice at least. Steph you do help a lot of people. You step out of your comport zone and move beyond your own problems and issues to help those in need. Not an easy task. I'm guilty of saying "I'd be happier if... ". I'd be happier if I didn't have to work. I'd be happier if I was skinny. I'd be happier if I had 52 million dollars. Actually I WOULD be happier if I had all 3! I would be ESTATIC. lol. Thanks for all you do Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. T... I think YOU should write a book on happiness. Your's might be way more interesting. I like the way you think!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a good post. God knows my whole life I have always thought I would be happier if. Now I look back and think man I wish I would have seen how good I had it, but I had my eyes too set on what I "thought" I needed!

    ReplyDelete